Monday, March 12, 2007

such an amazing boy

Lars is still feeling great. Incredible. A few rough hours here & there, the last couple nights were rotten, but overall feeling so much better. Neurontin + venting + steady hydration & nutrition? This morning he tolerated being scrubbed by BigGrandmaHelpful & then was pleased as punch to be playing with Suzie, who knows him oh-so-well & plays Just Exactly Right, according to Sir Larsalot. Suzie came bearing gifts so wonderful he's been playing with them ever since.

One is a couple of round shakers connected with braided string. I've seen them called simpatika knockers or seed shakers, though Lars' are a wonderful textured wood, not seeds. Here he is today sitting & playing with them:

In case you missed that, they're both a big deal these days:
sitting
and
playing.

Other gifts handmade especially for him & involve the bath section of home depot: rings & elastic & suction. Extraordinarily cool. Suzie says his hand skills have improved; he's working on his pincer, hands are more open & he's using both of them more. Even after all his hospital experiences with hand trauma via IVs. He's been playing in his little room again, too, and doing some good eating, a little self-feeding, and some supported standing.

While I'm still afraid the other shoe will drop & Lars'll be back in pain, I'm thoroughly enjoying having my happy, interactive, snugly guy back. Learned recently to put his arms around a neck & give a proper hug. Heart-melting.

Now that I can, I've been falling apart a bit. Last week was all about sleep. Sleep was at the forefront of my mind, which is not typical of me, even when I'm exhausted.

Oh, bad times (hopefully short) have come again. Gotta go-

No comments: